notice Dear visitors,
Welcome to the Library of Cesis website!
Central Library of Cēsis is a Cēsis Municipality culture and information institution, historical Cēsis district 8 county Main library and one of European Union Information points in Latvia. The library carries out methodical and consultative work functions to 8 county municipality public and school libraries, as also provides to library collections existing information public availability, use and librarian service recipiency to everyone interested.
Raunas Street 1, Cēsis, Cēsis county, LV-4101
Cēsis Municipality
Central Library of Cēsis
Reg. No. 90000031048
Raunas Street, Cēsis, Cēsis county, LV-4101
SEB bank: LV51UNLA0004013130835
Contact information
Phone: (+371) 64123644, 26411177
The history of Central library of Cēsis
The existence of books in the former Livonian Order land master's residence in Cēsis Castle was confirmed by the finding of bronze book bindings in the archaeological research in the 20th century 70's and later years.
It is known that the Cēsis library was owned by pastor Henrihs Baumanis (1716–1790) and that the builder Jānis Meņģelis (1829–1903) designed new book shelves around 1891 for Cēsis castle manor owner Emanuel fon Zīver's library, which from middle of 19th century was located in the New Castle Lademahers tower.
In the second half of 19th century libraries in Cēsis were created alongside various councils: music and singing society "Harmonija" (founded in 1782), Cēsis citizen society "Muse" (founded in 1855), Cēsis Latvian charity society (founded in 1875), Cēsis Hospitality society (founded in 1899) and Craftsman society (founded in 1909).
Societies' members and their relatives were only allowed to use the societies' libraries. That is the reason why other libraries were created. So, in 1987 Jurģu-Dubinska library was founded, and it was free of charge to use by anyone. At that time Dubinska manor's territory was located outside of then the city's administrative borders.
In 1902 a Russian public library in the name of Nikolajs Gogolis was established in Cēsis, which was the only library that received financial support from Cēsis city council until World War I.
There were also private libraries of Cēsis book publishers – Andrievs Niedra and Jānis Misiņš (1905), book publisher Oskars Jēpe (1912) and others. A fixed subscription fee was given in private libraries. School libraries were established for student needs.
World War I shook the everyday life stability and order. In the beginning of 1919 the books from N. Gogolis library, as well as books from former societies, private libraries and fled counterrevolutionary personal libraries were delivered to Pils Street 6, where Cēsis Peoples library began its operation. It was open only for one month, as on 30th of May Latvian army troops banished the Bolsheviks from Cēsis.
After World War I the library named after N. Gogolis was not restored. The books of individuals who had died or left Cēsis and books from former societies remained in Pils Street 6, which is considered to be the first home of the City Library.
In the summer of 1919 Cēsis city temporary council approved the creation of city library. The books in the Peoples library's collection were returned back to private persons and societies that were still operating, but N. Gogolis library's members, Cēsis Hospitality society's members and other private persons donated books back to the city. The library's collection was created from these books. In addition, the High Commissioner in cultural value protection cases of Ministry of Education transferred a part of book collection from State's Book Fund that was situated in Cēsis.
The creation of library and book arrangement duties were undertaken by Augusts Brutāns (1893–1967), a medical student at that time, later – one of most popular and favourite doctor in Cēsis. In beginning of October 1919 the City Library in Pils Street 6 started lending books to readers. Thus 1919 has been accepted as the year of founding of Central library of Cēsis. The reading room in the library was opened in January 1920.
Central library of Cēsis was situated at Pils Street 6 from 1919 until 1929
Unknown photograph taken ca. 1923–1928
In March of 1929 the library was moved to a new building – the House of Hospitality society at Raunas Street 12.
Central library of Cēsis was located at Raunas Street 12 from 1929 until 1935
Photo by R. Sīmanis taken at the beginning of 1930
In autumn of 1935 the library was moved to the old building of town's council at Rīgas Street 7.
Central library of Cēsis was situated at Rīgas Street 7 from 1935 until 1954
Photo by an unknown photographer, taken at the beginning of 1930's
In 1945 the city's library became a county (from 1950 – a district) library; now also village, colkhoz and Soviet collective farm libraries were under its supervision.
A separate Childrens' library was created from district library's childrens' literature department, its work began 5th November 1950 in the same building in Rīgas Street 7.
In May of 1951 children book collection was separated from joint collection. In December of 1952 new space was assigned to Childrens' library in Vaļņu Street 9/11; but from 1955 – Cēsis Culture centre in Raunas Street 12.
In beginning of 1954 Cēsis District library was moved from the building in Rīgas Street 7 to more spacious Raunas Street 1 building's first floor. Over time, library’s allocated space expanded.
The library has been located in Raunas Street 1 from 1954
Photo taken in 1948
The centralized library system began to operate in 1978 – village libraries became branch affiliates to Cēsis district central library.
The decentralization of district libraries took place in 1995 – Cēsis district Central library kept the role and tasks of district's methodical centre, the opportunity to use joint fund was ensured to all libraries, and the development of the district's main catalogue was continued; meanwhile the upkeep of the municipal library buildings and book collections, and hiring librarians was taken over by local municipalities.
Cēsis district Childrens' library (in 1995) and Cēsis district Central library (in 1999) became a branch of Cēsis city council. Accordingly, the names of libraries were also changed – Cēsis city Childrens' library and Central library of Cēsis. 
From January of 2003, Central library of Cēsis and Cēsis Childrens' library were merged into one again; Childrens' library was a separate department and continued its work in Raunas Street 12.
In the beginning of 2010 Childrens' literature department was moved to Central library of Cēsis building in Raunas Street 1. 60 years had passed, and the libraries had merged again under one roof.
In 2013, a complete reconstruction of Central library of Cēsis and its adjacent territory began. During the reconstruction, Central library of Cēsis was located in Raunas Street 2, or as locals tend to call it – "Akmens ligzda" (Stone Nest).
Central library of Cēsis was located in Raunas Street 2 from 2012 to 2014
On 17th February of 2015 the reconstructed Central library of Cēsis was solemnly opened. Building's reconstruction lasted one and a half years, and within its time company "Vidzemes energoceltnieks" brought to life architect's Juris Poga office's intention to make the building wider and more modern, maintaining its historical significance. The reconstruction project was realised by EU co-financed activity "Advancement assistance for development centres of National and regional significance for balanced state growth". The total project expenses – 2 918 405 EUR, from which Cēsis municipality council financed 437 058 EUR, ERAF – 2 417 360 EUR and State's budget grant – 63 987 EUR.
Photo by U. P. Lauberga, Feburary 2015